Monday, April 4, 2016

April 3 - A Fan Letter to Hedy Lamarr

Dear Ms. Lamar

I know you don't know me
I'm just a kid over here
in a small Florida town with
honeysuckle sippy cups
hopscotch
drawn on the sidewalk
trees leaning heavy with
oranges big as your head
It's hotter than blue blazes
most every month
and we got preachers by the
dozens shouting from pulpits
'bout sin and wickedness
and there's boys and girls
and we're all supposed to be
getting ready to pair up
and walk down the aisle
for the marrying ways
Still...
It don't feel quite right to me
this pairing of me and a him
I really didn't know why I
felt so different, so strange
til the day I saw your movie
Sampson and Delilah

I wasn't paying attention
to the television
but then
your voice gave me
pause
I looked up to see you
draped with yards of fabric
that showed miles of skin
that glued me to the screen
as you struggled with your
beliefs and loving a lion
wrestling strong man who
heard voices he called God

You. Were. Beautiful.

Each time you
spoke
moved
or stretched out in elegant
repose
my heart beat faster
my stomach trembled
and warmth flowed through
inner sanctums that had
yet to occur to me
each new costume cleverly
conceived to excite my
thirsting eyes
so close I could touch you
and I wanted too
and it terrified me
and it exhilarated me
and I knew something
was forever changed on
a Saturday afternoon

Sincerely yours,
Your Biggest Fan

No comments:

Post a Comment